Wednesday, November 3, 2010

She drives up slowly, staring inside, like she’s planning a drive by shooting or something. Not seeing any movement, she parks and gets out. The wind feels bitter today. Not because it is cold, but as if it’s trying to warn her. Like the feeling of someone creepy blowing on your neck. Brrrr, she shivers. “Where is everyone?” she wonders. The gas station looks completely empty. She can’t even see anyone behind the counter. She’s only about 20 miles from home. She’s been here a million times, but now suddenly it feels like a ghost town. She sees a head through the glass. Finally, someone! She steps inside and it’s quiet, aside from some crappy country music playing over the intercom system.

“Good afternoon, can I help you?” says a voice behind the counter. She turns to see a man whom she recognizes, not as a man, but as a boy.

“David?” she asks. He nods.

“Do I know you?” he asks.

“Do you remember me? From catholic school – 5th grade. Miss Lawrence was our teacher.”

“Oh my god, yes! How are you? Long time no see! Do you live nearby? What brings you out today?”

Wow, how to answer that one?? She thinks to herself, “well, you see, I had this dream that this big Indian guy was telling me to go find someone I trust and thought that they might be here at this local gas station.” Yeah, probably not going to say that. But then again, it would take just as much explaining to someone she sees everyday. Here goes nothing…

“Well,” she begins, “I had this dream, and I know this sounds a bit weird, but I dreamt that I was supposed to find someone I trust, and…”

“You had that dream too????” he asks in amazement.

Suddenly she doesn’t feel so crazy. They stood there staring at each other like they had both just seen a ghost.

“Yeah” she answers.

He walks over to her and hugs her. It feels right. But why?

No comments:

Post a Comment